Saturday, June 18, 2011

Prepping for now and later

      As I was preparing to write today's post, I didn't think that I had done Preparedness Challenge #13anything in the way of 'prepping' this week. But as I thought about it, it occurred to me that I had indeed been 'prepping'. I received a Nesco roaster and Nesco dehydrator trays yesterday. The dehydrator trays will increase the amount of food I can put up for later use. I placed the roaster on a table on the back porch so the amount of heat will be decreased in the kitchen. It is very hot and humid now, in Alabama so I can continue to bake bread, biscuits, casseroles, etc., without adding extra heat in the kitchen. I'm excited about that and can hardly wait to use it!
      The roaster will also come in handy if there is ever another power outage like we experienced during the tornadoes. We were very fortunate that we only experienced straight-line winds, but they knocked down trees on power lines and did much damage to a lot of properties. We only had a few uprooted trees in our backyard. Thankfully they fell away from the house! The power was out for four days, but we had plenty of food and water. Hubby cam in with a generator a couple of weeks after the tornadoes, so that's how we'll be able to use our small appliances and even some larger ones, as well.
      The garden is coming along nicely since I'm watering it everyday. I've only gotten a few small orange tomatoes, though. We were late getting it in since we wanted to build raised beds this year. I'm still working on this, as well as many other projects. If you would like to read about the 'tilted' wagon episode, read my previous blog. Have a very Blessed day!


Since the tree fell, the sun shines here more.

Method of transporting dirt to raised beds.

Dirt pile for raised beds.

Finally full!

Hubby and I got each other the same cards for our 20th ann. on the 14th!

Fallen hummingbird nest.

Generator.

Uprooted tree, closest to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.