Friday, July 1, 2011

Dairy goats, do you raise them?

      My husband and I have been talking dairy goats again. He brought me a copy of "Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats." It is full of valuable information on anything one could ever ask about the care of dairy goats. My problem is, which dairy goat do I want? Most people around here raise Nubians. That was the breed I was about to choose until I read about the LaMancha's. The LaMancha's are a large breed like the Nubians, but without visible ears. They also are quiet compared to the Nubians. The LaMancha's personality seems to be much more docile than the contrary Nubians. These are some things that I read about in the book and also in speaking with a LaMancha breeder. I'm just not sure if I want to pay his price. The Nubians are much more reasonable, or so I've heard. The LaMancha's can produce up to a gallon of milk a day, which would be much more than we could drink. I guess I could freeze what we don't use and/or make cheese with it.
      Do you have dairy goats? If so, what breed do you raise? Have you raised other dairy goats and prefer one over the other? What made you choose the goats you raise? Is there a market for your goats? I hope someone reads this who can answer my questions, or provide a contact person I can ask.
      While I'm asking questions, is there anybody you know who has a garden? I would like to speak with an experienced gardener who cans their own produce. Do you have excess veggies and/or fruit? I need green beans, squash and anything else I can 'put up'. I've picked almost four gallons of blackberries that I can use later. I've also dehydrated potatoes for using later. There is so much I would like to do, but I don't know anyone with a nice, big garden, to share with me. If you or anyone you know does have excess, send them my way. I'm always feeding people, so the food will be shared with others.
      Hope you are enjoying this blog. If so, leave me a comment below. Have a blessed and safe Fourth!


Full of valuable information!

First fruits. What are the spots?

Two quarts of dehydrated potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.