Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Turkey Month!

      Here we go again with another new month! Hard to believe but I welcome it! Funny how the seasons change and so do our tasks! We have been experiencing some cooler weather this week and just when I get acclimated to it, BAM, it's supposed to get to eighty Saturday! Just the same as Spring! We have to beware this time of year, as well as in the Spring for tornado season. I'm not worried at this time since there is not even a chance of rain in the forecast! 

      I haven't canned anything this week, can you believe it? Well, except for a small batch of bread and butter pickles. That's one way the tasks have changed! Another is, I'm going to bring in some of my basil and mint to grow in the winter. I read to do that in a new book I received on how to make your own herbal medicines and teas. I've also been doing more cleaning of the house! Yuk! But it has to be done! I received two books, and the other one is about essential oils. The only thing I've made is a vapor rub. It smells almost like Mentholatum! I love that stuff! But I'm almost out, so I made this and hope it works just as good. I know it's healthier, at least!

      Randy got the fence fixed so Daisey hasn't gotten out in a couple of days. Yay! She was so funny, squeezing her body through a six inch square almost like nothing. Then she'd walk around nibbling on the green grass, and finally onto the porch. She stood at the door looking in like she was a dog! She even stood on her hind legs as if to open the door! I bet she could eventually figure it out!

      Two major events are occurring next week! April is having her baby on Tuesday and our apple trees are being shipped or sent on Wednesday. I think they are supposed to be here then. Skylar tilled the holes for them and I put lime in the holes to prepare for the trees. It will be several years before they bear fruit, but that's o.k.! Hope ya'll are having a good week so far and a very nice weekend as well. I am praying and thinking about all of those affected in the Northeast. Blessings from Bama!

Cooked apples to be made into fried pies.

Four half-pints of Bread and Butter pickles.


I made these fried pies with one of the bags I put in the freezer.


Daisey is inspecting the door knob!

She thought she was going to come in when I opened the door!

It was dark when I took this photo, but it is a whole chicken on the rotisserie  on the new grill. It turned out delicious!


I love the angle of the moon this time of year! It was quite bright not to be dark yet!


Baked beans and fried cabbage to go with the chicken! Yum!

I believe this is the book that most of the people on the internet have been using to get their teas, tinctures and salves recipes from.

I'm using this book to 'erase my wrinkles' as soon as I find all of the essential oils! ^_^!


















10 comments:

  1. You are sure good at self-sufficiency! I have never had fried apple pie! I am sure it is yummy. Good luck on making your tinctures and oils. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy! You should come to the South sometime! Fried apple pies are at every festival and some stores! I grew up eating fried apple pies and there is nothing else to compare to the taste! We prefer them over a 'regular' apple pie every time! They are quite time consuming to make, however. But worth every minute! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Daisy is adorable! What a little buggar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. FRIED APPLE PIES! They sound yummy! Never even heard of them, but, think I'll google a recipe...that is, unless you'd like to share??? :)

    Interestingly, I am just becoming aware of essential oils and would love to know more! Maybe the Nampa, ID library has some books on them! Enjoy your pies, Cheeryshirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shirley, the pies WERE so good! Wished I could have shared one with ya'll! Hope your library is better than ours, it has nothing!

      Delete
  4. Cooked apples for fried pies... oh please tell me what a fried pie is! :)

    So glad you took a minute to stop in my way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Babychaser, thanks for stopping by! You just take the apple pie filling and put into a rolled out biscuit! You could even used canned biscuits, but homemade is SO much better! Then you put a little lard, or coconut oil, butter, or whatever you choose, and fry them on each side until golden! Nothing else like it!

      Delete
  5. My family called fried apple pies "apple jacks" and I have no idea why..but they are one of my favorites...I think you are smart to freeze the filling and then you are all ready to fry them up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn! I've neveer heard them called that. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.