Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April showers bring May flowers....

      But mine are already in bloom! The weather has been so nice lately! It's 83 degrees as I type this and the wind is blowing gently, just enough to dry the sweat! I can't do much in that blazing sun, unless I want to get fried! So I came in to cool off and dry out and write this post. My garden is in need of woodchips! If you know of anywhere I can get some local, free, please let me know. I watched the movie: Back to Eden on the computer yesterday and with the hubs again last night. It has changed our thoughts about gardening, forever! If you are a gardener, and have not watched this movie, I highly suggest you watch it before you do anything else in your garden! I thought a guy was going to bring some out today but he hasn't returned my call, so we'll see what happens with that. Hopefully he'll do what he said. So many people tell you something nowadays, and do not keep their word. I hope he's one who will keep his word.


      I believe I mentioned about Sand Mountain Herbs in my last post, but I will continue to mention them. I ordered some seeds and hope they will be delivered this week. I'll keep you 'posted' on that as well. Things have been going really fast lately; I can't seem to keep up with all the chores! My house is a wreck and unless it rains today, will continue to need vacuuming and mopping. I do try to keep up with the laundry, however. Funny how we do the things we like best! Dishes, not so much! I thought about canning some more baked beans, but it has gotten too late in the day for that, so I'll save that for another hot or rainy afternoon. We usually get a lot of showers in the Spring, so I'll have plenty of chances to get caught up on all of this. I just need to get the raised beds prepared so I can plant squash, cucumbers, green beans, etc. The tomato and pepper plants I started from seed need to go out as well. I hope to post again this week so stay tuned! Blessings from Bama! (I think the link worked below. Check it out!)


Canned chili beans and great northern beans. The tall jar is leftover chili to go into freezer.

Smoothie made with spinach and arugula gathered from the garden. The arugula is quite strong!
Our first rose! Smells like an 'old rose'!
  
A row of flowers.

More irises.

More of these beautiful irises.

Ajuga.

Another first rose with the 'old rose' smell.

Is this catnip? It's growing wild in the backyard.

Little tomato plants deposited here by the hens.

Lucy and Goosey love this little pan of water!

Since this photo, I've added some manure. The veggies really need some help!

So proud of the hubs for taking care of the bees!




That is bee 'candy' and they love it!

They are busy doing their thing!

Look at that comb!



Looking good!

Wow! That's a lot of bees!

More pretty irises. Those are not our horses. They are on their property.

But look what I got from them, beautiful manure mixed in with hay!

Can you believe how big that fig tree has grown? It has figs all over it!




http://sandmountainherbs.com/

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I know what you mean about being busy this time of year! My kitchen duties have been neglected! I also watched the Garden of Eden movie. I wondered if it was a certin kind of wood chips you need to use or straight from the tree trimming service if you can get them? Sure made nice soil for him. We have clay and working to build ours up. Nancy over at http://cozythymecottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your irises are simply gorgeous! How long have ya'll been at your place? We've been here 5 years and my (small amount) of flowers don't look anything like yours.... you must have a green thumb! Okay, I'll totally admit how envious I am of your awesome fig tree! How old is it to be that large? Don't know if you could use sawdust, but we get ours at a local sawmill for $5/scoop...takes @3 scoops to fill up our trailer. If we don't feel like hooking up the trailer, we pick up a bag for $5 at our local feed and seed store that covers quite a bit of area. Love the bees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Thanks for stopping by! We've been here for almost six years, and have been gardening from the beginning. We are thankful for good topsoil in places! The thing that bothers us the most is the crawling grass. It's beginning to creep across the cardboard! We work so hard to keep that stuff out! I know that the Lord will show us what to do about this stuff, since it's He Who's leading us on this path. The hubs and I just spoke of sawdust this morning since Paul(the guy from Back to Eden) used that mixed with horse manure,in his potato bed. Just visited your blog. You are so creative! Love the matching duffel bag! Blessings from Bama!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by & commenting!

    I love the bees!

    I don't think that's catnip growing. It looks like young pokeweed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bama Girl!
    I saw your comment on Budgeting with the Bushmans and was so happy you put your link in with your comment because I'd lost your website and couldn't for the life of me remember it! So happy to be back and enjoy all the "homestead" things you do! Love the pictures so much! Still looking to can those pinto beans this summer! I agree with your comment to Bobbie! I, also, love her site! :) Cheeryshirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheert Shirley! Glad your back! I was wondering what had happened to you! I'm glad to have found that website, as well. You don't have to wait until summer to can those pinto beans if your using dried. Just pick a couple of bags up at the store and go from there! Wishing you well on your canning endeavors! Blessings from Bama!

      Delete
    2. Hi Bama Girl! I, too, am very glad I'm back! I really enjoy your blog...interesting topics, tons of pictures, and fun! Thank you! Um, would you be interested/willing to do a bean canning tutorial? I would so love to "see" the canning process with just the plain beans and salt/water. You have so much fun doing the beans and take tons of great pictures! I know you don't have much time with all you do! I've gotta take the plunge! :) Your flowers are lovely!!! I can't believe how the fig tree has leafed out! Thanks for this great blog! Cheeryshirley

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.