Friday, April 13, 2012

It's been a very beautiful week here!

      I could say that about every week here, though. The weather has been mild and a little cool compared to the weeks past. The blackberries are in full bloom and so are many other flowers. The garden is coming along nicely, and I've been working very hard on the wood chips. That wheelbarrow gets heavy pushing it up an incline! I love doing this, though, and wouldn't have it any other way! My blogging is lagging, but at least I do manage to get one or two posts in a week. I don't know if I'll be able to do more, it just depends on the heat. Hope you all are doing well! I'm still taking time to read blogs and I guess I could use that time to write blogs, but I learn so much from reading! I'll eventually share with ya'll; it just takes me time to get things down pat and into practice. Hope ya'll have a wonderful weekend! Blessings from Bama!
I think this is called a 'candy-stripe' amaryllis.

This looks like two different clematis. I think it is. I need to find a trellis and permanent spot for them.

Can you guess what this is? Take a guess... homemade red-wine vinegar!

A new iris blooming out!

Son requested this soup prepared in the VitaMix. It's chicken enchilada soup with roast beef instead of chicken!


Guess what I did with all of these carrots?

We got a 'new' to us wood chipper!

It really eats up those branches!

This is what I did with all of those carrots! I pureed some raw, and roasted, then pureed the others. I then placed them in ice tray and muffin tins, put that in the freezer; popped them out and into freezer bags and then in the freezer. I will use them in soups, sauces, smoothies, etc.

The new iris.

A closer view.


How do you like these strawberries?

Here's the rest of them.

I really love the color of this clematis!

The bees are doing good!

We took the big jar off the other day. They are doing very well now without it.

Blackberries in bloom.

Nectarine tree is full of nectarines!

Close-up of the nectarines.

This wisteria didn't bloom this year.

Several hens taking a dirt 'bath' under the hen house.

Hubs is painting the arbor.

Apple blossoms. I don't think the cold snap hurt them.

Peach tree with netting to keep birds off.

7 comments:

  1. what a full post...I just love all of the ideas that I get from bloggers!! Your carrot idea is perfect for me to do. I just noticed I had a white iris blooming behind my garden house yesterday, here in NC...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn! Thanks for stopping by! Yes, it is a full post! I don't post as much as I would like, so I try to get it all into one! Hope your carrots turn out deliciously! Blessings from Bama!

      Delete
  2. Hi Bama Girl,
    Sure glad I don't have to push my wood chips uphill! It tires me out just getting them on flat ground! Your Iris is so beautiful. You have a huge place to keep up to! When you have time would you look at my today's blog and give me advice on my sweet potato that I want to grow and plant for eating? Thank you! Nancy at Cozy Thyme Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you OK from the tornado storms??? I've been praying for you! Hope all is well! :) Cheeryshirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is so sweet, Cheery Shirley! Yes, and thank you for your prayers! We have not had any warnings here; they were concentrated in the Midwest states this time. My prayers are with those who are hurting from loss now. That is such a devastating thing to experience. My concerns for you living in Oregon is the threat of the predicted earthquake for Seattle. My husband was telling me about that this morning. He heard the guys on the Weather Channel talking about it. Make preparations now, if you can! I don't even know how to begin to prep for something like that! Blessings from Bama!

      Delete
  4. Thank you Bama Girl! I read your comment aloud to my husband, Glen, and we both looked blankly at each other and asked, "What earthquake predicted for Seattle?" Kinda dense, eh? Had to Google it! :) I very much would love to live somewhere else! I would LOVE to move somewhere away from the ocean and rain and very high wind! I soooo want to garden! :)

    My "Canning and Preserving for Dummies" book arrived today. Sooo excited! Just glancing through it and reading sections to hubby, I came upon the dire warning, "Be sure you boil all your canned goods 15 minutes after opening". Do you do this? I mean, aren't they safe when pressure canned? Hubby was kinda nervous about this. :( Thank you for your kind response! :) Very glad you are safe and we, too, are sorrowing for those who were in the path! We have a huge supply of food, some water, flashlights, etc. Don't know how to prep more than what we've done! Cheeryshirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheery Shirley! Sometimes I think I would like to live in Italy or somewhere, but I quickly come back to my senses! I couldn't move that far away from my family!

    I've never boiled my canned goods after opening! That's absurd! Why go through all that processing if you have to do more? I use my canned beans all the time and have never gotten sick! I just use the Ball Blue Book, or Pick Your Own website for tutorials and recipes and they've never suggested anything like that! Oh well, I'm sure your canning experience will be good. Try not to stress too much! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.