Tuesday, January 28, 2014

We Finally Got Some......SNOW!

      It is so beautiful out here! I haven't seen snow like this in about three years! January is the most likely month for us to receive snow. It was predicted farther South than us, with just a light dusting here. It turned out to be much more than that with schools dismissing early and the roads full of fender benders. I didn't venture out in the weather, since I already knew the temps weren't supposed to get out of the twenties. I stay home most of the time; especially when its cold! Since we rarely see the pretty snow, we don't know how to drive in it. It seems to have a layer of ice under it, thus the reason for all the wrecks. But I know it won't last for long! Tomorrow the schools are closed, but Thursday we'll see temps climb back into the forties. That's just the way it is here! Houston is supposed to have seventies by the weekend! The snow definitely makes it colder! The temp is 21 and dropping to 12 or so tonight. That may be warm for some, but oh so cold to me! I can hardly wait for it to warm up again!

      We celebrated Winterlynn's birthday this past Saturday. Her birthday is actually today. Happy Birthday Win! She received lots of warm clothes that are coming in handy about right now. Her cake was Lalaloopsie. She wanted Sponge Bob but we talked her out of that. So hard to believe she is four already! Where is the time going?

      I've started the week off with jumping and exercising again. Last week my body wasn't up to it so I took off everyday except Friday and Saturday. I really am enjoying the rebounder! I'm enjoying challenging my body with all the other things as well! I haven't lost any weight yet that I can tell, but I feel better. I still walk outside when the weather permits. Walking is my favorite thing to do! Besides cooking and working in the garden! 

      Speaking of garden, we lost our bees! I may have told ya'll that before, but I hate that we've lost two hives! Guy, our bee mentor is going to set us up with another nuc in May. I hope they will make it, and even give us honey this year! Gardening and homesteading has it rewards and disappointments! But I still want to keep on doing what I'm doing! Another thing we're looking forward to is breeding our Nigerian dwarf goats in a couple of weeks. That means we'll have "kids" this summer! That will be so neat! I hope to milk the mommas. Time will tell!

      Ya'll stay warm in this cold! We've got a fire going in the fireplace so we're nice and cozy! Oh and here's the link to the English muffin recipe. http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/breads/english-muffins-4/ Why isn't this highlighted so you click on it? I guess I don't know how to do that. Anyway, you have the site. 1/4 ounces yeast is 2 1/4 teaspoons, fyi. Let me know if you make these muffins! Oh and I don't know how that photo showed up so large below! It's not on the page where I post! I don't know how to remove it. I need lessons on blogging! Thanks for reading! Blessings from Bama!

She's the only one brave enough to walk in the snow! The rest are huddled under the hen house.


The snow is a couple of inches.

You can barely see the driveway.

The house looks pretty in snow. 
Chelsey doesn't mind the snow at all.





Taken when the snow first started.

Made this last night. We almost ate the whole thing! It was a delicious chicken casserole made with homemade version of cream of chicken soup.

I've been sitting with an Amish starter all week. I finally got to make the bread. It was delicious!

My sister holding her grandchildren.

Riley's grandma.

Win is showing me she's four.

The girls weren't looking at me!

Riley trying to jump.

The birthday girl!

Skylar made these pull-handles for his Jeep. They are made from para-cord.

10 comments:

  1. Your house is so pretty! That little Riley on the jumper - such a cutie pie! The cake looks cute - better than sponge bob! I thought you wanted to make a snow angel - LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacky! Thank you! She sure is! I thought I wanted to make one too.... but it's so cold!!!! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Our chickens are the same when it snows. They barely leave the coop. They are still laying for us despite the frigid temps - it's been below zero here at nights. The eggs freeze and crack open if we don't collect them in time.

    Your house is so lovely! I have always wanted bees! I hope your next hive does better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! That's great they are laying in those conditions! I only get about one egg daily. Thank you! Maybe ya'll can get bees this year. I hope we've learned how to keep them alive! Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Great photos! Thanks so much for the recipe link and yeast info. I've 'pinned' the recipe and will try it soon. Have never made English Muffins before - who'd figure you'd 'fry' them?! We got the snow too @2 1/2" total here. Skylar made some cool-looking pull-handles for his Jeep. Your place looks so pretty! Hope it's warming up your way today! Have a great week Felecia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! You're welcome! Check King Arthur Flour as well. Oh, I bet your place looks beautiful too! Skylar seems to be able to do anything he puts his mind to. Thank you! It's supposed to warm up to the forties. Thanks, you too Lisa! Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I love your photos! Your home is beautiful!! The snow is pretty but one day is enough for me....come on Spring!!!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Thank you! Spring will be here before we know it! Thanks, you too! Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Yes, the snow is beautiful and I hope you enjoy yours. I am ready to be done with ours for this year! LOL Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! I know you are! We have enjoyed it very much! It's about to go away now, sad. Have a great weekend! Blessings!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.