Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Drying apples and making fried pies!

      We recently were blessed with several bags of apples. They are a bit tart, and just a little sweet, so they are perfect for: pies, apple butter, dehydrating, well, anything! I decided to get on with them this week and it took about three hours to peel, slice, and core them. It seemed like forever, and I sure was glad to get them done! They turned out so nice! They taste good enough to eat! I never was a big fan of grocery store dehydrated apples, so I was pleasantly surprised with how these taste! I hope to acquire more apples in the near future and will probably dehydrate some, as well as make more apple butter. That stuff is so good!

      Along with my apple ventures, I've been cooking and gardening. The weather has been so much more pleasant these past few days, so I can actually enjoy being outside again! That is, if I get out there in the morning and late evening. The temps are steadily climbing back to the nineties by Friday, so I hope to get things done out there before then. I hope to plant some beets, turnips, swiss chard, and spinach this evening. It will be interesting to see how the weather does until fall. Hopefully, these will make a harvest!

      Skylar started back to school Monday. He is taking his lunch! That was a surprise to me, and I'm getting it ready for him in the mornings. I made him some brownies for his snack. He likes them! But, he just ate a fried pie and decided he wants one of those in his lunch tomorrow. The pies are good, but I think they will taste better when I make the crust from scratch, instead of canned biscuit dough. 

      I hope to get to post on harvesting honey, soon! It probably won't be long until we do that! Ya'll have a great week! Blessings from Bama!


Maddie is enjoying some little tomatoes from the garden!

Love this apple, peeler, corer, slicer, from Pampered Chef!

The dehydrator is filled with apple slices!

Garden bed ready for fall planting!

In the process of cleaning out the beds.

These plus beets are what I'm planting.

Fried apple pies, along with a 'squash'.

Southwest black bean chicken, a recipe printed from Jamie cooks it up!

Pico from the garden. Wished I had cilantro!

Finished apple slices.

11 comments:

  1. Those fried apple pies and dehydrated apples look so yummy!!! Hope your son has a great school year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got an awful nice friend to bless you with so much! I think your Fried Apples look delicious! Clever thought using biscuit dough and love the little stand your apple peeler/slicer is attached to. I'm thinking I might need a dehydrator too. Do you like yours? Would you recommend it? Doesn't it seem odd to be thinking about and preparing for fall and winter when it's still so hot outside?! Though our weather, like yours, has actually cooled considerably lately. In fact I've got the doors open it's so pleasant outside at 9:30 am on a mid-August day. So strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These apples came from another source, a man from my Mom's church! He brought bags of apples to whosoever wanted them! I was glad my Mom grabbed some! I think home made crust would taste better. This was a Paula Deen recipe. The stand came with the apple peeler/slicer and I love it! I also love my dehydrator! I had this one before I started reading blogs; and if this one ever plays out, I want an Excalibur dehydrator. They come highly recommended and cost much more, too! I agree, Lisa, the weather is sure strange for this time of year! Makes me wonder what September will be like!

      Delete
  3. Phil likes it when I make apple pie from dried apples. He says that taste better than the fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like mine better with the apple butter! I'll let you know when I make them again.

      Delete
  4. Your apple pies look wonderful. It's great to have the apples. You have kind hearted friends. I am sure your children are enjoying the dried apples as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! I am thankful to receive them as a gift, but I will probably visit some orchards and buy some later in the fall. I wished the girls were here! They are all my great-nieces and missed out on the pies!

      Delete
  5. All of your food looks delicious and the fried apple pies are special in my family too!! My grand mamas were the best. Gosh I guess I need to plant some fall garden things too....maybe some turnips and have not thought of chard...thanks for reminding me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathyn! Love fried apple pies! Yes, it's time for fall planting! You're welcome!

      Delete
  6. When we grilled hamburgers on the grill, I made one for my children's lunches the next day. I dressed them for each child, fresh from the grill and immediately refrigerated the hamburger in the bun, wrapped in foil. They were wild about that lunch. All the kid at school wanted one, too, and tried to trade for their food. Anything homebaked was always a favorite for them, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.