Thursday, August 9, 2012

Have you seen my mother?

      I have several 'mothers'! Do you have any mothers? They are quite easy to come by! Oh, did you think I meant my Mom? No, I was talking about a mother of vinegar! They are really easy to make! All you need is some organic acv, or apple cider vinegar with the mother. I got mine at Whole foods, but you can probably find it at health food stores and some grocery stores. Measure  a half cup of acv and a half cup of red or white wine. Any wine will do actually, use what you've got. I wanted some red wine vinegar so I used red wine. It took a couple of weeks to get the 'mother' growing, but she finally got started and man did she ever grow! I now have several mothers from only two batches! I poured the vinegar into a vinegar jar and left the rest to keep the 'mother' company. While making the vinegar, put a coffee filter on the jar with a rubber band around it so the mother can breathe. Of course, I found the instructions while surfing the web.

      There's not really been a lot going on around here other than keeping Winterlynn a couple of days, and grocery shopping. I haven't felt so great for a couple of days, so that puts a limit on what I can do. I don't have any canning escapades planned for the neat future. However, I am on a mission to find some wheat berries so I can grind them into flour. I've read that it makes the best bread ever! You know me, got to give it a try. I will have to get the dry grinding attachment for the Vitamix if I do this. 

      We got a nice rain today, so the temps have been much lower than days before. The sun is out now, so they will climb. I'm just thankful for rain in August! Hopefully, we'll continue to get rain until the rainy season sets in. I am thinking about making some eggplant Parmesan for dinner tonight with the eggplants I harvested from our garden this morning. I'll keep you posted on that. It seems I'm not the only one who isn't posting much these days. I haven't gotten any comments in about a week, and that's very unusual! Guess everybody's getting ready for school, or taking a late vacation! Someone has been reading, at least, since I have about 9-15 page-views a day. Hope your garden is doing well! Have a great weekend! Blessings from Bama!

Meet 'mother'!

Can you see the layers? There are several 'mothers' in there.

Like my vinegar jar? I got it a long time ago before Linens and Things closed. That's been a long time ago! I knew they would come in handy one day!

Guess what? Apple butter! I received another bag of apples! It made four delicious pints.

I finally bought some more cucumbers at the grocery store, so I made some chopped salad cubes. I used the recipe for sweet pickle relish and omitted the onions. Recipe found on pick your own .org.

My sassy little 'sweet-heart'! Can you see how dirty she is?

She loves the rocking horse! The porch is a lot cooler than the yard!

Jack doesn't seem to be afraid of snakes!

He gets a little too close for comfort for me!

This chicken showed up at a neighbors barn. No one has claimed, it so he brought it to us. It looks like the kind that rides on chicken trucks. There is a processing plant a few miles from here, but I don't know how one of those chickens could make it from the highway to here!

Win likes the chicken too!

She didn't want to leave the slide!

12 comments:

  1. Winterlyn is a cutie! :) Love her unique name! The apple butter sounds very tasty! It's one of my mom's favorites!

    Hope you are feeling better soon! It's so humid here, it just saps your energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda! Thanks for stopping by! Thanks, I will!

      Delete
  2. Hi Bama Girl, I have never made vinegar but remember reading the Dr. Seuss book, "Are you my Mother" to my kids. Your title made me think of that! Sweet little one you have there! Ugly looking snake! Yuk! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! Yes, I too love that Dr. Seuss book! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I am very curious about your vinegar making. Now that you have the mother (and I would not have thought of organic vinegar for some reason) how do you make more vinegar? I wonder if I made vinegar if that would cause a problem with my winemaking...humm..can't mess up the wine, lol, but I would like to try vinegar someday too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Becky,! You are the absolute candidate for making vinegar! You no doubt have the wine, just find you some organic acv with the 'mother'! To make more vinegar, just use some of the acv with the 'mother' or if you're making more of the same, use some of the old. I don't think there will be a problem with your wine making if you keep them separated. Keep the vinegar going in a pantry or closet. Hope you try it soon!

      Delete
  4. Wow, seriously making your own vinegar...kudos to you. You are so self-sufficient. Your pantry must be so full of home grown goodies. I bet the eggplant Parmesan turned out wonderful. Blessings to you and your family. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I hope it turns out OK. My pantry is filling up! The eggplant Parmesan did turn out delicious! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Love your blog post title because I love Dr. Seuss' 'Are You My Mother?' book too. Never tried 'mother' of vinegar. Please let us know how it turns out for you. I've not been able to spend as much time with my blog friends either, as 'life' has kicked into high gear and stayed there, it seems. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I know what you mean about 'life kicking in'! I wanted to post sooner, but I still haven't had a chance! I don't know if the vinegar is going to work! It has white-looking mold or something on top! Don't want moldy vinegar!

      Delete
  6. I have been busy too and not posting and reading much....cute post title!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.