Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Spring, Ya'll!

      Or in our case, early summer! The temps have been in the mid eighties the last few days, and are predicted to stay there throughout the week! It gets really warm after lunch, so I don't really enjoy the sun much. I can only imagine what it will feel like in a month or so! Still, I love the South! Everything is going to come in early this year, all the vegetables and fruit. I can hardly wait to go pick strawberries in a few weeks!


      The bees arrived this past Friday and seem to be doing very well. We are learning as we go and are doing things a little different this time. We check the sugar water every evening and always have to refill the jar. It's a very thick syrup that has to be fed to the bees in the beginning so they will have something to eat. We are not doing this to try to get honey this year, as I read on someone's blog. This is something that has to be done. We won't get honey until next year, and I'll be so excited when that day comes. In the meanwhile, I just enjoy watching the bees go in and out of the hive, and eventually pollinate the garden.


      I still haven't painted the bathroom trim yet. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get that job done! Hopefully, the notion will strike me soon! All I want to do this time of year is be outside or in the kitchen! I'm hoping to can some baked beans today.(Probably not going to happen today!) Oh yea, someone asked me about a website on canning and the name of it is: pick your own dot org. I hope she reads this post and gets the right address! Also, if you want to email me, just click on my profile photo. Have a great week! Blessings from Bama


Wisteria still looks pretty, but today it's almost gone!

Old once-blooming rose bush. Chickens stay under there when it's hot, and for protection from predators.

Lots of dogwood trees in bloom.

More dogwoods and irises.

View of raised beds.

The row thing seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

Play date with the nieces. It was a beautiful, warm day!

Tiny tot pushing cart.

Hubs the bee man!

Hubs and the other bee man. Hubs has on complete attire.

Nuc of bees. The can has  sugar water to feed bees during transition.

Close up of nuc.

Ten thousand bees?

Fig tree producing leaves and fruit. Fruit won't be ready for awhile, though.

Pulling out the container with the queen.

Queen is inside this box.

They're already trying to get to the queen.

Emptying nuc inside hive.

Look at all those bees falling into hive!

They're in! Tonight we get to see if they got the queen out.

I was told this was a snowball bush when I purchased it. It doesn't have big snowballs on it like I though it would.

All seems well with the hive.

They're going in and out as they should.

Feeder on top.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your bees! Seems like there's so much to learn with beekeeping. I enjoyed seeing all the photos. That big rose is amazing! I bet it's beautiful when in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the "pick your own" website and e-mail info...Thank you! You will soooo enjoy your bees and the honey they make! I can't believe it is mid 80's already...your garden is going to be great with all that sunshine! It is "drippy" here on the Oregon coast! :) I find it so amazing that the fig tree produces fruit along with the leaves...so different from other fruit trees! Am enjoying your blog! Will be canning this summer! Yea! Cheeryshirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bama Girl!
    I enjoyed your photos and information about the bees specifically. Beekeeping is a very popular hobby here too and you can see their boxes along our country roads. I hope your queen makes it and you have a healthy hive that produces lots of good honey for you in the future. I love figs too! Wish we had a fig tree here. Are you going to make Fig Jam? You have lots of good things at your place.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my site. Im hoping to get bees in the future also. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.