Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Grinding my own meat is great!

      I ground a three pound roast and used one pound of it in my spaghetti sauce made with fresh tomatoes that I canned earlier. It was aggravating to use the hand crank, so we purchased a grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid. We haven't used it yet, so I can't wait to get a pork butt! I want to make my own sausages! Italian and breakfast. I will keep you 'posted' when that happens!


      The heat has gotten unbearable again! I went out to pick figs at five o' clock and sweat poured down my back! My husband just came in from mowing and weed-eating, soaking wet! It's 7:20 in the evening! If that tells you anything! The humidity makes the ninety plus heat feel like triple digits! I feel sorry for my guys working out in this heat! But someone's got to fix those air conditioners! I'm glad my son is learning that skill instead of playing football. He decided that he wants to go into the cooling and heating business like his Dad. I'm glad to hear that! He will be a junior this year, so he will have a valuable skill under his belt when he graduates. I guess college is just not for him. He's smart enough to go; he just doesn't like school. I'm glad too, that he's not going into the military. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, I just didn't want my only child to be in a dangerous situation! 


      I hope to be posting later this week! Ya'll stay cool and drink lots of water! Blessings from Bama!

Here's the pickles I made! They are very sour! But crunchy, for a homemade pickle! I poured off some of the juice of the jar that I opened and filled it with water. They taste a little less sour, now. Probably wouldn't notice it on a sandwich.

The beautiful meat I ground!

Blessed with more tomatoes!

I wished you could see her eyes in real life! They are beautiful! Like my tomato bookmark?

Look at that face!

These two played good together while I finished canning the tomatoes!

You can see the character on their faces!

I canned all fourteen quarts while Winterlynn was here!

I canned six pints while Maddie and Win played!

Figs from today. There may be that many tomorrow!


      

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you have been very busy. I can't stand the heat index! Even here in north central Wisconsin...today in 90s with humidity. I know in January with -20 with windchill factor I will miss this...blessings from Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacky! Now I just couldn't stand the thought of -20 with windchill factor! How do you survive that? I guess you never go out when it's like that!

      Delete
  2. What great looking ground meat! Looks like you're a pro at canning! What a terrific bounty of tomatoes to have put up that much. And what sweet girls to have played so well together, you could get your canning done. Good luck to your son. It has to make you and your husband feel good for him to want to carry on the family business and that he's figuring out what his goals for his future are. Your figs look beautiful and love your tomato bookmark! It's hot here too. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! No, I'm not a pro! I had to redo several jars due to not sealing. I guess I overfilled the jars and it ran over the top. I removed the lids, wiped the rims, put lids on again, and water-bathed for ten minutes. They sealed after that. A pro would never over fill her jars!

      Delete
  3. Hi! What little sweeties you have there! You have been working hard but it will be so rewarding this winter! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! Yes, I have and thank you! Yes, it will! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I do enjoy making my own sausage. It just tastes so good! I need to make up another batch, I believe I have one bag of pork pieces left from the pig.
    Your figs look great. I hope I eventually get some off of my trees.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.