Friday, July 27, 2012

Pickling red onions!

      Yes, I pickled red onions last night! They are delicious! They remind me of my pickled eggs. I love pickles with cloves and these have cloves in them. I am previewing a Southern Living Christmas cookbook, so that is how I discovered the recipe. I don't plan on keeping the book because it would cost about $18, so I'm just trying recipes to see if I like them. I will copy the ones I like. Written or whatever. Aldi has their red onions on sale this week: .79 for two pounds! That's pretty good so I bought them and sliced them and made the pickles. They look pretty, too! All red, like Christmas! Guess that's why they are in the book!


      We thought we were going to be in the 'honey' last night! When they looked into the frames, they weren't capped off yet. It will probably be another 3-4 weeks before it's ready. But I think it's great that we will get honey our first year! Now I'll have to modify recipes using honey instead of sugar! But I like the idea of using something to sweeten that is natural, and that we 'grew' ourselves! Now mind you, I don't have a problem with sugar, I'm just excited about the honey! I'm sampling some honey the guy down the street 'grew' and it tastes wonderful! I know ours will too!


      I think I hear a rumble in the distance! I hope we get rain here today! It hasn't rained all week! Surely it would cool things down! I was blessed with more tomatoes from the neighbor's garden this morning! It will probably be into next week before they're ready to can, and that's fine since I'll have Amber, Jasmine, and Layla until Wednesday! We're having Layla's 2nd birthday party here tomorrow with lots of people! We're cooking burgers on the grill and making homemade ice cream! The children will swim in the little pool since the big one isn't ready yet! I may not get a chance to blog until after Wednesday of next week, so ya'll stay cool! Have a nice weekend! Blessings from Bama!

Opening the hive.

Checking the frame.

Look how calm hubby is with the bees, he's smiling!

Look at these beautiful red onions! It wasn't as bad as you might think peeling and slicing them!

Pickle brine.

A glimpse of the recipe. I halved the recipe and still got a lot!

See how pretty? Six pints, four half-pints.

Here's the book I mentioned.

The neighbor blessed us with more tomatoes!

My tomatoes are before the peaches. They don't taste very good! The peaches were given to us by another neighbor! Can't wait to try one!

8 comments:

  1. You have some really great neighbors your way! What a gracious bounty! You are right, those pickled red onions do look good. Those will make unique Christmas gifts, if you decide to give any away. I've switched a lot of our 'sugar' recipes to 'honey' too, though we don't grow our own, and I like the flavor. That is wonderful you'll be supplying yourself. Have a great weekend and hope you get the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Thank you! Yes, we finally have gotten to know some people on this road and it's such a blessing! We are finally getting rain!

      Delete
  2. Not sure if I would like pickled onions but they sure do look pretty! Good luck on the honey. We are fortunate to get local honey from a man around the corner from us. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! Thanks for stopping by! They taste delicious! If you like pickled eggs, you'd probably like these!

      Delete
  3. That is so cool you are going to harvest your own honey (is that what it's called)? I am a huge honey lover. There are certain things I can't eat without it (like cornbread and biscuits), but I try to limit myself, since it is so expensive (but I understand why)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn! Thanks for stopping by, all the way from Utah! That's what I call it, but I'm not sure if that's what everybody else calls it! I'm right there with you on the biscuits! Yes, honey is expensive, even when you 'grow' your own!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you are so self-sufficient. I am impressed! I bet your red onions turned out amazing. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! They taste really good! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.