Monday, July 2, 2012

Thank God for cooler temperatures!

      We received a nice rain last night, as well! The air is a lot more humid, but the temps. are not as high. Right now, it's 87 degrees. That feels cool compared to 105! It actually got hotter than that, I'm assuming 107-109. I didn't keep up with the weather man. I hope ya'll found a cool spot to hide over the weekend! My garden is showing signs of suffering from the heat. My zucchini plant swiveled up and died! I was watering, too! I guess they can't take that much sun and heat. I did harvest a few tomatoes though. The one that grew from chicken scratch tastes sweeter and more delicious than the one I grew like it from seed, last year! It's bigger, too! My hens are hardly laying, because of the heat. Amazing how weather affects animals and plants!


      My Dad is recovering so nicely! He has days where he's really weak, but then there are days like today, he's been walking up and down the street! Not without my Mom or his walker, though. I am so thankful that God is helping him through this! My niece went home from the hospital the other day, and is staying completely out of the heat. She can't get outside as long as things are so warm. Everyone is coming here for the fourth, and she will be able to, just as long as she stays inside. Her Mom's birthday is tomorrow, so we are meeting at a local restaurant for lunch. Wow! Two days of celebrating! Oh well, that's what holidays and families are for! I'm glad we all live local, so we can get together often! 


      I made twelve half pints of blackberry jelly over the weekend, and am about to use the last of the juice. I should get at least five jars out of it. The blackberries are burned up! I don't think there will be enough to do anything with after this. I'm kind of glad, cause I seem to find chiggers when I pick them! A little cow-itch too! My nectarine tree looks like it will split in two any second! It's loaded with almost ripe nectarines! We're waiting until they are a little more ripe before we pick them. I hope the jelly will taste good! I wasn't very pleased with the way the plum jelly tasted. It didn't taste "plumy" enough for me. I'm glad things are settling down so life can get back to "normal"! Ya'll have a great fourth and I'll talk to you later! Blessings from Bama!


Skylar's hands messing with the sugar!

Beautiful blackberry jelly in the making!

Sure, I used Sure Jell!

Baby Kassie sure has grown! She looks like she's trying to smile!

Look at those sweet hands!

Blackberry jelly!

That's in the shade!

Hubby is trying his best, in that heat, to level the ground under the pool wall! He used a shovel and pressure washer cause the ground is so hard!

My first tomatoes! It tasted delicious!

13 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your dad is recovering.
    We are happy our temps dropped too. The weather people had it all wrong. We are sitting at 91 degrees right now and the house is a lovely 75.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky! Sure wished I had some of that bacon! Thanks for the nice comment!

      Delete
    2. Well, that blackberry jelly looks pretty good too but I don't have enough blackberries to make any. We tend not to eat a lot of jelly anymore now that the kids are gone (except Michelle)anyway :(

      Delete
    3. Blackberry jelly is almost my favorite jelly! Our son doesn't eat this jelly. His favorite is strawberry jam. If the chiggers are this bad next year, I may have to see if there's someone around here who sells them already picked! It's the hubs favorite jelly, so I have to keep a lot of it on hand!

      Delete
  2. Hi bamagirl, You sure have been busy. Jelly looks good!Not in the 100's here but in the 90's and so humid! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! 91 feels like 101 when accompanied with humidity! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hey Bama Girl! You've always got so much good-cooking going on... your Blackberry Jelly looks beautiful AND delicious! Our blackberries are about gone too. Our area of SC has been shattering our long-standing record highs with new killer heat highs. It's terrible. My volunteer tomatoes always seem to do better than 'seeded' plants too. Seem to grow and develop faster. Enjoy all your planned upcoming family festivities!!! and Stay Cool! Happy 4th to you. PS Glad to hear your Dad is doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bama Girl, thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment. Wow, it id hot where you live, even in the shade. Your blackbarry jelly looks great. I made alot of it when my children were small. So happy your dad is doing well. Happy 4th with the family. Cassie is a cutie. Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And thanks for taking time to stop and leave me a comment! Thank you! Hope you enjoyed your fourth!

      Delete
  5. I hope to get some blackberries this year. I've made mental notes of where I saw the blossoms along side of some country roads. This year I hope to beat the bears and birds. It is hot here too! Humid too! Blessings from Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacky! Bears! Oh my! Gotta love blackberries!

      Delete
  6. Hi Bama Girl!
    Soooo glad your Dad is doing better!!! It does make you appreciate the "real" things/ones in our lives, doesn't it? Your experience with your Dad has made me look at my husband, Glen, in a more tender way...appreciate the "now", for I DO value him so much!
    I can't imagine the heat you suffer with coupled with the humidity! Yikes! You and your husband both seems to always be so busy...I think it would stop me in my tracks! :) Love the jam pics! Any your hubs working away on the pool! Y'all are so balanced, too...camping and going places with your son after all the hard work...family get-togethers! You truly DO live life with fullness and fun!
    It is good to finally get back in here after our major move to Idaho! I've missed you all so much! It took so long to settle-in due to every.appliance.breaking with the exception of the AC/heating unit! So, we've been camping in the center of our rooms without the preparation! Sill limping along on 1 burner on the over-heating stove! BUT! We ARE getting settled! Yea! Now, I'm going to get caught-up on your blog posts! Looking forward to that! :) Love, Cheeryshirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley!
      Thanks for stopping by! Sure have missed you! Thank you so much for the kind comments! Hopefully, you'll get a new stove soon! It would be hard for me to carry on without one! I hope you and Glen get everything you need soon, and can enjoy living in your happy home in a peaceful town!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Leave one, if you wish.